What is Kutch embroidery?
The Kutch district in India and its various ethnic groups are known worldwide for their excellence in embroidery. From generation to generation, mothers teach their daughters the age-old embroidery techniques. While the styles of embroidery stitches, designs and colors vary from community to community, all are high quality – without exception. You can often recognize Kutch embroidery by the small mirrors incorporated into it.
In the embroidery classes, you’ll learn:
- Background information about the method and materials
- By viewing original embroideries
- How to transfer your design onto fabric
- Various Kutch method embroidery stitches: detached chain stitch, open chain stitch, triangles, half-closed feather stitch, back stitch, herringbone stitch, Cretan stitch
- Applications of these embroidery stitches
- To fix mirrors
- How to combine mirrors with the embroidery stitches